Sunday, May 24, 2009

CREST Wk 1

CREST has been like boot camp so far. I suppose it is in a sense a boot camp for the sailors preparing to move on to military life with the Marine Corps. We have PT'd numerous times almost every day. I'm glad I prepared myself physically because getting in shape here is not something you want to do because you will be pushed and pushed harder if you're not performing at the expected level.
Currently I'm taking courses online during the day that teach you about driving and maintenancing a HMMV. It was somewhat unexpected that we would have to learn how to repair and fix everything on the HMMV as well as be able to drive it!
So far we've also been in numerous Combat Life Saver lectures that range from heat stress to setting up an IV. I've been through most of this training before when i went to Kuwait so its not that foreign to me.
I wake up at 0330 in the morning and we all have to muster up by 0430, as a squad leader I have to be out there first! The days usually end around 5pm, then we eat dinner and head back to the barracks to prepare for the next day.
So far my favorite meal was this buffalo chicken meat over some lettuce, it was sooo good! The first day i tried the pancakes but they tasted like syrup flavored sponges...not good!
We had an easy hike the other day, just two miles with a pack but the pack was empty. Its the first of many we will go on to condition us up to 8 miles.
I'm glad we have weekends off, its been nice to be able to relax and sleep in and take it easy! Its going to be rough waking up at 0330 again on Tuesday!
If anybody was thinking about sending mail, thank you but don't. I've heard that when you get mail you get to do push ups, the heavier the mail the more you do!
Oh and i haven't had a drop of coffee since my first day here last week, i guess i'm off my addiction. I look forward to picking it up again when training is over!

Sorry there's no pictures this time...i'll try to take some for next weeks post!

0 comments: