Sunday, May 31, 2009

Week 2

Gas! Gas! Gas!

The highlight from this week was definitely the day we went to the gas chamber! I wasn't looking forward to it but i was also just as much ready to get it over with. I didn't sweat it b/c i knew what to expect out of my experience from boot camp. This time it was definitely more entertaining! We all had to line up with our masks on outside and march into the gas chamber one day this week. Above the doors read a sign that said, "Even the brave cry here." Yay! I can't wait!
Anyway, we all marched in with our masks on then after we were all in we all realized our masks were in good working condition b/c we could all breath easy with no problems, but that was only the beginning our our "exercise." After that we were told to "break the seal," meaning the seal our masks had around our face to let in the gas...and so the suffering begins! I took a few breaths and immediately started chocking and coughing and my eyes burned and started watering. We all had to keep the seal open with our fingers until they came around and checked every body's broken seal. As each second passed I couldn't wait to close it and clear my mask and breath regular air again! It was horrible! But apparently we were all doing much better than this other guy about 4 guys away from me! In his struggle he panicked and threw off his mask and sprinted across the small room for the door! One of the instructors yelled, "we got a runner!" He then slammed hard against the locked door and the next thing i knew he was on his hands and knees with his face in his hands trying desperately to breathe! It was hilarious! seconds later he was picked up and dragged outside. After the rest of us composed ourselves and completed the rest of our "exercise" we all marched happily outside to air out. The guy who ran out found himself at the back of the line to do it all over again.
Many people said they felt like running, i guess its a natural impulse when you can't breathe properly in that gas but everybody knew you'd most likely be doing it again if you left. One of my friends said it barely irritated his eyes the whole time and could breath just fine! I wish I had his lungs and tolerance! That definitely wasn't a fun day for me!

0 comments: